Inaugural investment kickstarts the company’s initiative to diversify the spirits industry by 2032 and generate $2.4 billion in economic value.
ATLANTA /PRNewswire/ — Pronghorn announced today its investment in Ten To One, the award-winning Caribbean rum brand founded by CEO Marc Farrell and co-owned by GRAMMY-winning artist, Ciara. Pronghorn will make a capital investment in the brand and will provide access to its supercharging services, designed to help Ten To One scale its business. According to Pronghorn, less than 1% of spirits brand acquisitions in the U.S have been Black owned. To generate wealth and drive acquisitions, Pronghorn will serve as a hybrid incubator and accelerator, making capital investments in Black owned brands, while also providing capabilities that allow brands to leverage industry-leading knowledge and resources to realize their brand’s ambitions.
“Pronghorn’s goal is to cultivate the next generation of Black entrepreneurs, executive leaders, and founders within the spirits industry. We are thrilled to kick off the first of 57 investments in Black-owned spirits brands that will be made over the next ten years with Ten To One Rum,” said Erin Harris, Co-Founder, Pronghorn. “Diverse representation in entrepreneurship will drive innovation, and Ten To One is a leading example of that through its continued reimagination of the rum category.”
Award-winning Ten To One Caribbean rum was founded in 2019 by entrepreneur and former Starbucks Senior Vice President, Marc Farrell. Through his creation, Farrell hopes to elevate the experience of consuming Caribbean rum and highlight its versatility.
“Continuously challenging expectations has been core to our brand’s DNA from day one, and proven to be a major ingredient in preserving on a path to success – even against the backdrop of a global pandemic,” said Marc Farrell, Founder, Ten To One. “There remains an enormous opportunity to change the way people taste, experience and talk about rum, and with the incredible support of the Pronghorn team, we will not only be able to expand our footprint to other major metropolitan hubs, but also introduce consumers to new occasions for which rum should be considered the spirit of choice.”
In just a short period of time, Ten To One Caribbean rum has received critical acclaim from the likes of Food & Wine, Forbes and Zagat for its exquisite pan-Caribbean blends as well as the brand’s role in shifting the rum category to a more elevated and authentic reflection of Caribbean culture. According to ISWR, the U.S. market for Super Premium+ rum brands is projected to have a compound annual growth rate of 12.6% from 2021 to 2026 and to grow 2x faster than the spirits industry over the next 5 years.
The name Ten To One comes from a quote from Dr. Eric Williams, Trinidad and Tobago’s first Prime Minister when discussing the first Caribbean federation of 10 countries, who said “One from ten leaves zero” — conveying the idea that we are stronger together than apart.
“Pronghorn’s team are spirits industry game-changers,” said Ciara, Co-Owner, Ten To One. “It’s rewarding to see these creative minds rally around a brand and a mission that I am so passionate about and enable a path to excellence that uplifts and supports Black entrepreneurs.”
To commemorate the investment, Grammy-award winning artist, and co-founder of Ten To One Caribbean Rum, Ciara joined CEO Marc Farrell at an intimate event at the Gathering Spot, a private members only club in Los Angeles on August 18th. The duo toasted the big announcement alongside Pronghorn co-founders Dia Simms, Erin Harris, and Dan Sanborn while guests enjoyed Ten To One cocktails, beats by DJ MOS and inspiring conversations.
Ten To One is available at retailers in nearly 20 states across the country, and online at www.shoptentoone.com.
To learn more about Pronghorn’s accelerator program for Black entrepreneurs in the spirits industry, visit www.pronghorn.co/services.
Pronghorn is focused on cultivating the next generation of Black entrepreneurs, executive leaders, and founders within the spirits industry. Through sustainable capital investments, incubation, and recruitment programs, Pronghorn removes barriers and grants access to critical resources that empowers untapped talent and emerging Black businesses to reach their full potential. The company was co-founded by spirits industry veterans Dia Simms, Erin Harris, and Dan Sanborn. The pronghorn is the fastest North American land mammal and can endure speeds for miles. Inspired by our namesake, Pronghorn believes creating real change is a marathon, not a sprint. For more information visit: www.pronghorn.co.
ABOUT TEN TO ONE:
Launched in New York by proud Trinidadian Marc-Kwesi Farrell in the summer of 2019, Ten to One is a range of ultra-premium Caribbean rums designed to challenge expectations and change the way people taste, experience, and talk about rum. In October 2021, it was announced that R&B singer-songwriter Ciara would join Ten to One as an investor, co-owner, and director. For more information visit: https://www.tentoonerum.com/
Refresh Spring Menus with Sweet and Savory Favorites
(Family Features) Whether your favorite springtime meals take you to the patio or have you throwing open the windows to let fresh air in, enjoying the sunshine and warmth with sweet and savory dishes is a perfect way to celebrate the season. Better yet – bring loved ones together with recipes that are as easy to make as they are delicious for refreshing taste without the hassle.
The uplifting aroma and flavor of Envy Apples offer an invitation to savor small moments around the table, especially when used in simple favorites like muffins, sandwiches, pizza or pies for delicious dishes all day long. Celebrating spring can start with this ultimate apple experience, allowing you to introduce loved ones to new ways to rethink weekly staples.
Wake up with breakfast or brunch on the patio, highlighted by Apple and Date Muffins you can prepare fresh or bake ahead of time then reheat for an easy, breezy morning. Spring often means outdoor activities which require a recharge at lunch like these Apple, Bacon and Brie Cheese Toasties featuring the perfect pairing of sweet with savory.
Wind down the day with Stilton Cheese Pizza, an ultimate family favorite and shareable solution. Finally, cap off the excitement of warming weather and time outdoors with a slice of Classic Apple Lattice Tart served with a scoop of ice cream or custard.
These recipes and more start with the craveable texture and crunch of Envy Apples – a leading apple variety – that provide balanced sweetness with flesh that remains whiter longer, even after cutting, so your favorite meals look as delicious as they taste.
Visit EnvyApple.com to find more patio-perfect recipe inspiration.
- 2-3 sheets puff pastry dough
- 5 Envy Apples
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
- ice cream, custard or cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 365 F.
- Use two sheets semi-thawed pastry to line fluted tart pan approximately 10 inches, pressing and trimming neatly to fit; chill 15 minutes.
- Peel, core and thinly slice apples into large bowl; sprinkle with sugar, lemon zest and cornstarch then toss well to evenly coat.
- Arrange apple slices in pastry-lined tart pan, laying flat.
- Beat egg with milk. Brush egg wash around pastry rim.
- Cut 1/2-inch strips from remaining pastry sheet and make lattice pattern over apples, crimping edges once lattice is completed.
- Brush tart with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until pastry is golden. Allow to cool at least 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with ice cream, custard or cream, if desired.
- 2 Envy Apples
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup bran flakes
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- butter or powdered sugar, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line muffin pan with cupcake papers.
- Peel and core apples and dice finely; toss with maple syrup.
- In large bowl, combine flour, bran flakes, brown sugar, dates, pumpkin pie spice and baking powder; mix well.
- In separate bowl, whisk melted butter, egg and milk.
- Add half maple-apple mixture to dry ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and fold together until mixed. Spoon evenly into muffin tin cupcake papers. Add 1 teaspoon remaining maple-apple mixture to top of each muffin.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until muffin mix is set and apple topping is golden. Allow muffins to cool 5 minutes before removing from tin.
- Serve with butter or dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
Yield: 1 pizza
- 1 tablespoon pizza sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 storebought pizza crust
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup stilton cheese, divided
- 1 Envy Apple
- 4 slices prosciutto
- fresh arugula leaves, for garnish
- fresh basil, for garnish
- toasted walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Combine pizza sauce and sweet chili sauce. Spread sauce over pizza crust.
- Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese and half of the stilton cheese.
- Cut apple in half then core and slice into thin wedges. Arrange apple over cheese then top with remaining cheese.
- Cook pizza 7-10 minutes until pale golden and starting to bubble. Add prosciutto and cook 2-3 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Serve with fresh arugula and basil. Sprinkle with toasted walnuts, if desired.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 teaspoon honey mustard, plus additional for serving (optional)
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 1 Envy Apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 3/4 ounces brie cheese, sliced
- side salad, for serving (optional)
- Butter one side of each bread slice.
- Lay out two slices bread, buttered sides down. Top with honey mustard then layer with two bacon slices, apple slices and brie cheese slices. Top with remaining slices bread, buttered sides up, to create two sandwiches.
- Heat grill pan or frying pan and cook sandwiches until golden brown on each side and cheese is beginning to bubble.
- Cut sandwiches in half and serve with side salad or extra honey mustard, if desired.
Unite Loved Ones with a Luscious Dessert
(Family Features) Celebration-worthy treats are perfect ways to cap off days spent with those you love, whether there’s a special occasion or you’re simply looking for creative ways to share more moments together. As a beloved staple in American households for generations, pie provides a sweet, delicious way to bring family and friends to the table.
By bringing some of the most popular pie flavors together, the Tart Cherry Unity Pie offers the familiar, distinct sweet-tart flavor of Montmorency tart cherries that pair well with pecans, apple and pumpkin pie spice for a sense of nostalgia representative of family, tradition and celebration.
In this unique recipe, the bold and vibrant flavors of tart cherries take center stage, complemented by the subtle sweetness of apples and crunch of pecans. With their burst of brightness and acidity, tart cherries perfectly balance the other flavors to create a pie fit for any occasion.
U.S.-grown tart cherries are a particularly versatile ingredient that makes them an ideal partner for other beloved ingredients and flavors. In fact, as the demand for sour, less sweet food and beverages continues to gain momentum, they provide a multi-faceted, sweet-tart profile for favorite foods and drinks. While tart cherries are increasingly featured in a wide array of recipes, they remain a favorite ingredient in confectionary items and baked goods like pies.
Slow down your fast-paced world and savor a slice of this timeless dessert alongside loved ones for a moment of respite. With its sweet and tangy filling, flaky crust and tart cherry topping, you can indulge in life’s simple pleasures for a sense of coziness and comfort.
Visit ChooseCherries.com to find more celebration-worthy tart cherry desserts.
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Tart Cherry Industry
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
- 1 pie crust (9 inches)
- 2 cups canned tart cherry pie filling
- 2 cups canned apple pie filling
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
Pumpkin Spice Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Fit pie crust to 9-inch pie dish. Crimp edges and use fork to poke holes in bottom. Place pie crust in freezer to chill.
- In large bowl, combine tart cherry pie filling and apple pie filling. Set aside.
- To make streusel: In bowl, use fork to mix flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, pecans and salt. Pour butter over dry ingredients and mix until ingredients come together in clumps.
- To assemble pie: Pour cherry-apple filling into prepared pie crust and sprinkle streusel on top. Brush beaten egg onto exposed pie crust edges.
- Bake 25 minutes. At 10-minute mark, cover pie dish with foil to prevent crust from over-browning. After 25 minutes, lower oven temperature to 375 F and bake 30 minutes.
- To make pumpkin spice whipped cream: In large bowl or bowl of stand mixer, add heavy cream, powdered sugar and pumpkin spice. Use hand mixer or beater attachment on stand mixer to beat on medium-high speed 3-5 minutes until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate whipped cream until ready to serve.
- Let pie cool 2-3 hours then dollop pumpkin spice whipped cream on top, slice and serve.
- Substitution: Storebought whipped cream topped with pumpkin spice can be used in place of homemade pumpkin spice whipped cream.
Give Comfort Food Classics an Authentic Mexican Twist
(Family Features) If winter evenings have you stuck in a dinner rut, heat up the kitchen with family favorites everyone can look forward to. Shaking off the chill can start with a cozy blanket and comforting food that warms you from the inside out.
Soup is a wintertime staple thanks to its simplicity, and you can put a delicious spin on your next winter warmup with Mexican-inspired ingredients. Giving soup night a twist starts with Cacique Foods, one of the country’s top authentic Mexican food brands, that invites friends and family to share real moments while savoring authentic flavors.
This Smoky Chorizo and Chicken Pozole relies on the bold, hearty, spicy taste of Cacique’s Pork Chorizo combined with handcrafted Homestyle Salsa. Queso Fresco’s crumbly, creamy texture and milky, fresh flavor adds the perfect finishing touch, making this soup a perfect way to warm up weeknights with just the right amount of heat.
For a flavorful side that complements a variety of main courses while adding Mexican flair, consider Mexican Loaded Mashed Potatoes. This recipe is a familiar favorite with the unique twist of bacon and Pork Chorizo for a meat-infused recipe that will become a menu mainstay.
Plus, for an extra creamy texture, it calls for Cacique Crema Mexicana – an everyday table cream with a neutral, fresh-tasting flavor ideal for balancing out spice – and Oaxaca, a semisoft cheese with a mellow, buttery flavor.
Find more comforting recipes at caciquefoods.com.
Smoky Chorizo and Chicken Pozole
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional, to taste (optional)
- 1 package (9 ounces) Cacique Pork Chorizo
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 container (16 ounces) Cacique Medium Homestyle Salsa
- 1quart chicken stock
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, trimmed of excess fat and diced
- 1 can (25 ounces) white hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 3/4 cup crumbled Cacique Ranchero Queso Fresco
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- In large, heavy pot over medium heat, heat oil. Reserve 1/4 cup onion for garnish; add remaining onion to pot and season with salt. Saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high; add pork chorizo and break it apart with spoon. Cook chorizo undisturbed until deeply browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes. Add smoked paprika and oregano; cook 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Pour in salsa and scrape up browned bits from bottom of pan. Bring to simmer 1-2 minutes, allowing it to thicken slightly then add stock and bring to simmer.
- Stir in diced chicken and hominy. Decrease heat to medium and cook 8-10 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Taste and season with more salt, if necessary. Remove from heat.
- Serve bowls of pozole with reserved onion, lime wedges, crumbled queso fresco and chopped cilantro.
Mexican Loaded Mashed Potatoes
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 3 pounds russet potatoes (about 9 medium potatoes), peeled and cubed
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 package Cacique Pork Chorizo
- 12 ounces Cacique Crema Mexicana
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Cacique Oaxaca or Queso Quesadilla, shredded
- 1/2 cup Cacique Crema Mexicana Agria, for topping (optional)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- In Dutch over, add potatoes and cover with water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes, or until tender.
- In skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels, chop into small pieces and set aside. Remove bacon grease from skillet and cook chorizo over medium-high heat, 6-8 minutes.
- Drain potatoes; add to pan. Mash potatoes, gradually adding crema Mexicana, butter, onion powder, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Transfer to greased 13-by-9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with cheese, chorizo and bacon. Refrigerate, covered, up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Remove potatoes from refrigerator and let stand while oven heats. Bake, covered, about 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes, or until heated through.
- Drizzle with crema Mexicana agria and chopped green onions.
Community1 year ago
Diana Gregory Talks to us about Diana Gregory’s Outreach Services
Senior Pickleball Report1 year ago
ACE PICKLEBALL CLUB TO DEBUT THEIR HIGHLY ANTICIPATED INDOOR PICKLEBALL FRANCHISES IN THE US, IN EARLY 2023
Entertainment1 year ago
The Absolute Most Comfortable Pickleball Shoe I’ve Ever Worn!
Blog1 year ago
Unique Experiences at the CitizenM
Automotive1 year ago
2023 Nissan Sentra pricing starts at $19,950
Senior Pickleball Report1 year ago
“THE PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARDS OF PICKLEBALL” – VOTING OPEN
influencers1 year ago
Keeping Pickleball WEIRD, INEXPENSIVE and FUN? These GUYS are!
Blog1 year ago
Assistory Showing Support on Senior Assist Day