(Family Features) Making time for meals together can have a positive impact on the well-being of families, including children and adolescents. In fact, regular meals at home can help reduce stress and boost self-esteem, according to research published in “Canadian Family Physician.”
Mealtime conversations are also a perfect opportunity to connect with your loved ones. A study published in “New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development” showed these conversations help improve children’s vocabularies more than being read aloud to.
Making time for meals together shouldn’t require spending all night in the kitchen, however. A simple-to-prepare ingredient like eggs can help you spend less time cooking and more time with family.
For example, these heart-healthy recipes for Poached Egg Tostadas with Avocado-Tomatillo Salsa, Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs and Poblano Frittata from the Healthy for Good Eat Smart initiative, nationally supported by Eggland’s Best, are ready in 15 minutes or less. They include a wide variety of vegetables, fruit, whole grains and healthy protein sources, which are recommended by the American Heart Association to help prevent heart disease and stroke.
To find more tips for family mealtimes and recipe inspiration, visit heart.org/eatsmart.
Poached Egg Tostadas with Avocado-Tomatillo Salsa
Servings: 4 (1 egg and 1/2 cup salsa per serving)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 corn tortillas (6 inches each)
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- 1 medium Anaheim or poblano pepper, seeds and ribs discarded, diced
- 1 medium tomatillo, papery husk discarded, washed and diced
- 1/2 medium tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lightly spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange tortillas in single layer on foil. Lightly spray tortillas with nonstick cooking spray. Using fork, pierce tortillas to prevent from filling with air. Bake 5-6 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Transfer to serving plates.
- In large skillet over high heat, bring water and vinegar to boil.
- Once water is boiling, reduce heat and simmer. Break egg into cup then carefully slip egg into simmering water. Repeat with remaining eggs, avoiding eggs touching in water. Simmer 3-5 minutes, or until egg whites are completely set and yolks are beginning to set but aren’t hard. Using slotted spoon, drain eggs. Place each egg on tostada.
- To make salsa: In medium bowl, gently stir together avocado, pepper, tomatillo, tomato, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, garlic and salt. Serve with tostadas.
Nutritional information per serving: 185 calories; 11 g total fat; 2.5 g saturated fat; 3 g polyunsaturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat; 186 mg cholesterol; 169 mg sodium; 15 g carbohydrates; 3 g fiber; 2 g total sugars; 9 g protein.
Servings: 4 (2 wedges per serving)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium poblano peppers, seeds and ribs discarded, chopped
- 2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
- 2 medium green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Cotija cheese or crumbled queso fresco
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- In medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk and cilantro.
- In medium skillet over medium heat, heat oil, swirling to coat bottom of skillet. Cook poblano peppers 3 minutes, or until browning on edges, stirring frequently.
- Stir in corn and green onion. Reduce heat to medium-low and carefully pour in egg mixture. Cook, covered, 10 minutes, or until mixture is just set on edges and still soft in center. Avoid overcooking. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Cut into eight wedges. Place two wedges on each plate. Top with tomatoes and sour cream.
Nutritional information per serving: 244 calories; 8.5 g total fat; 2.5 g saturated fat; 1.5 g polyunsaturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat; 192 mg cholesterol; 177 mg sodium; 27 g carbohydrates; 4 g fiber; 8 g total sugars; 13 g protein.
Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs
Servings: 4 (1 cup per serving)
- 2 teaspoons canola or corn oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 medium red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 2/3 cup fat-free, low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- hot pepper sauce (optional)
- In pressure cooker set on saute, heat oil. Cook onion 3 minutes, or until soft, stirring frequently. Turn off pressure cooker.
- Stir in potatoes, bell pepper, broth, garlic, paprika, cumin, thyme, pepper and salt. Secure lid. Cook on high pressure 3 minutes. Quickly release pressure. Turn off pressure cooker.
- Remove pressure cooker lid. Crack one egg into small bowl. Using back of spoon, make small well in potatoes. Slip egg into well. Repeat with remaining eggs, making separate well for each egg. Secure lid with pressure vent open. Saute 2 minutes. Let stand on “keep warm” setting 2 minutes, or until eggs are cooked to desired consistency.
- Serve hash sprinkled with dash of hot pepper sauce, if desired.
Nutritional information per serving: 258 calories; 7.5 g total fat; 2 g saturated fat; 1.5 g polyunsaturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat; 186 mg cholesterol; 244 mg sodium; 39 g carbohydrates; 6 g fiber; 9 g total sugars; 10 g protein.
American Heart Association
Jason Momoa’s Mananalu Water Launches Limited-Edition “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” Bottle
WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. /PRNewswire/ — Today, Mananalu – the aluminum-bottled water brand on a mission to eliminate single-use plastics – announces the anticipated launch of its limited-edition “Aquaman” bottle to celebrate the upcoming release of “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom.”
The 22-ounce “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” bottle is available in a six pack on Mananalu’s site at www.mananalu.com ($29.99/6 pack), and at select retailers including HyVee and Foodland until supplies last. The bottle features a trident inspired by the one that Aquaman uses to protect the ocean, and a beautiful gold cap.
Founder Jason Momoa – ocean activist and actor – not only protects our oceans as Aquaman on the screen, but also through his mission-driven brand in real life. Focused on building the belief that plastics negatively impact our enjoyment of exploring the planet, the aluminum-bottled water brand makes impact refreshingly easy through its “Drink One, Remove One” promise.
Mananalu is the only aluminum-bottled water brand offering DOUBLE impact. Through the brand’s partnership with rePurpose Global, for every bottle that’s purchased, Mananalu removes one water bottle’s worth of plastic from the world’s ocean. So far, the equivalent of 14 million bottles have been saved from entering the ocean.
“This bottle is about more than just the movie. Because protecting our oceans is up to all of us,” says Mananalu founder Jason Momoa. “And every time you drink any Mananalu bottle you are protecting the oceans one bottle at a time.”
Aquaman fans can also join the wave of change by entering to win a trip for two to Los Angeles for a screening of “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” in December. By entering, Mananalu hopes it inspires its community to think about how it can be a protector of the oceans, just like the superhero himself. Details on how to enter are available on www.Mananalu.com.
Mananalu’s four core flavors – Pure, Pink Grapefruit, Tahitian Lime, and Lilikoi Passion – are available on Amazon ($19.98/12 pack). Mananalu is made with no sweeteners, calories, or bubbles, just a hint of natural flavor essence with electrolytes added for taste. The water is bottled in infinitely recyclable aluminum – with each bottle made up of at least 60% recycled aluminum – and is responsibly and locally sourced, Climate Neutral, Plastic Negative, and 1% For The Planet.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open to legal US/DC residents, 18 years or older. Void where prohibited. Sweepstakes starts at 12:00:00 AM PT on November 1, 2023 and ends at 11:59:59 PM PT on November 29, 2023. Limit 1 Entry per Person. Sponsor: Mananalu, Inc., 8605 Santa Monica Blvd., #82374, West Hollywood, CA, 90069-4109. Subject to Official Rules at Mananalu.com/A2Sweepstakes.
Mananalu is an aluminum-bottled water brand on a mission to eliminate single-use plastics – making impact refreshingly easy via the “Drink One, Remove One” initiative, which removes one water bottle’s worth of plastic from the world’s ocean for every bottle purchased.
Founded by Jason Momoa – ocean activist and actor – this mission-driven brand focuses on building the belief that plastics negatively impact our enjoyment of exploring the planet. Inspired by Jason Momoa’s native Hawaiian culture, in Hawaiian, “Mana” means “the sacred spirit of life” and “Nalu” means “a powerful wave that pushes across the ocean.” Mananalu represents the unstoppable wave of change that is already here and making a difference. Mananalu is bottled in infinitely recyclable aluminum, with each bottle made up of at least 60% recycled aluminum, and is Climate Neutral, Plastic Negative and 1% For The Planet.
About “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom”
Director James Wan and Aquaman himself, Jason Momoa—along with Patrick Wilson, Amber Heard, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Nicole Kidman—return in the sequel to the highest-grossing DC film of all time: “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom.”
Having failed to defeat Aquaman the first time, Black Manta, still driven by the need to avenge his father’s death, will stop at nothing to take Aquaman down once and for all. This time Black Manta is more formidable than ever before, wielding the power of the mythic Black Trident, which unleashes an ancient and malevolent force. To defeat him, Aquaman will turn to his imprisoned brother Orm, the former King of Atlantis, to forge an unlikely alliance. Together, they must set aside their differences in order to protect their kingdom and save Aquaman’s family, and the world, from irreversible destruction.
All returning to the roles they originated, Jason Momoa plays Arthur Curry/Aquaman, now balancing his duties as both the King of Atlantis and a new father; Patrick Wilson is Orm, Aquaman’s half-brother and his nemesis, who must now step into a new role as his brother’s reluctant ally; Amber Heard is Mera, Atlantis’ Queen and mother of the heir to the throne; Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is Black Manta, committed more than ever to avenge his father’s death by destroying Aquaman, his family and Atlantis; and Nicole Kidman as Atlanna, a fierce leader and mother with the heart of a warrior. Also reprising their roles are Dolph Lundgren as King Nereus and Randall Park as Dr. Stephen Shin.
Directed by Wan, “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” is produced by Peter Safran, Wan and Rob Cowan. The executive producers are Galen Vaisman and Walter Hamada.
The screenplay is by David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick, from a story by James Wan & David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick and Jason Momoa & Thomas Pa’a Sibbett, based on characters from DC, Aquaman created by Paul Norris and Mort Weisinger.
Joining Wan behind-the-camera is his sterling team of “Aquaman” artisans: director of photography Don Burgess, production designer Bill Brzeski, editor Kirk Morri, composer Rupert Gregson-Williams and music supervisor is Michelle Silverman. Visual effects supervisor Nick Davis and costume designer Richard Sale also join.
Warner Bros. Pictures Presents An Atomic Monster / A Peter Safran Production of A James Wan Film, “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom,” set to open in theaters internationally beginning 20 December 2023 and in North America on December 22, 2023; it will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures.
POP-TARTS CELEBRATES FIRST FROSTED GINGERBREAD FLAVOR BY LISTING A GINGERBREAD HOUSE ON ZILLOW
One lucky gingerbread house-building fan will win $15K from Pop-Tarts that they can put toward their home mortgage
BATTLE CREEK, Mich. /PRNewswire/ — This holiday season, Pop-Tarts is celebrating the wild world of homeowning with a crazy good idea – build your Frosted Gingerbread Pop-Tarts dream house for a chance to win money you can use toward your real dream house.
The brand is putting a new twist on the classic gingerbread house-making tradition with this gift of an offering. Whether you’re a Zillow-surfing addict or a hopeful pastry-home architect, any and all Pop-Tarts fans can enter for a chance to win $15K from Pop-Tarts. To enter, post a picture of your Pop-Tarts Gingerbread house on Instagram or Twitter with #GingerbreadPopTartEntry (No Purchase Necessary). You may also enter via mail-in entry. Complete official rules here.
The contest is inspired by Gingerbread Pop-Tarts that are back after nearly a decade and better than ever thanks to the new addition of snowy white icing and nine printed fun designs, perfect for elevating any gingerbread house.
“Rather than building the same quaint, cookie-cutter gingerbread houses this year, we hope families will consider a crazy good renovation instead,” says Heidi Ray, Senior Director of Marketing, Portable Wholesome Snacks. “We are reintroducing Gingerbread Pop-Tarts to inspire a new era of gingerbread house building that’s modern, memorable, and most importantly, delicious. We hope the added incentive of the $15K prize will get fans into the spirit, the Pop-Tarts way.”
HOLIDAY HOME-BUILDING INSPIRATION
To set the stage for holiday house-making, Pop-Tarts teamed up with experts at Zillow to list the first-ever Gingerbread Pop-Tarts house on the real estate marketplace. Nestled in the heart of Wild Berry Woods, this drool-worthy Pop-Tarts Gingerbread farmhouse is turnkey and tasty, with scrumptious siding and snackable shingles. Digital window shoppers and hopeful architects will marvel at the Cookies n’ Crème kitchen countertops and Chocolate Fudge bedroom reading nook all season long. Find this edible dream home listed at zillow.com/house/poptarts.
Limited-edition Frosted Gingerbread Pop-Tarts are on shelves now in retailers nationwide for an MSRP of $4.19 for a 12-count box. Stock up ahead of the holiday season and stay up-to-date on all things Pop-Tarts by following the brand on TikTok, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. YOU MUST HAVE INTERNET ACCESS AND AN ACCOUNT ON TWITTER OR INSTAGRAM TO ENTER VIA SOCIAL MEDIA. Obtaining an account on a designated social media platform and entry into the contest is free. Open to legal residents of 50 US & DC; 13+. Begins 12:00:00 AM (ET) on 7/25/22 & ends at 11:59:59 PM (ET) on 12/16/22. For how to enter including mail-in entry and/or complete Official Rules, go to www.poptarts.com/contest. Subject to complete Official Rules. Void where prohibited. Sponsor: Kellogg Company, One Kellogg Square, Battle Creek, MI 49016.
®,™, © 2022 Kellogg NA Co.
ABOUT KELLOGG COMPANY
At Kellogg Company (NYSE: K), our vision is a good and just world where people are not just fed but fulfilled. We are creating better days and a place at the table for everyone through our trusted food brands. Our beloved brands include Pringles®, Cheez-It®, Special K®, Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes®, Pop-Tarts®, Kellogg’s Corn Flakes®, Rice Krispies®, Eggo®, Mini-Wheats®, Kashi®, RXBAR®, MorningStar Farms® and more. Net sales in 2021 were nearly $14.2 billion, comprised principally of snacks as well as convenience foods like cereal, frozen foods and noodles. As part of our Kellogg’s® Better Days ESG strategy, we’re addressing the interconnected issues of wellbeing, climate and food security, creating Better Days for 3 billion people by the end of 2030. Visit www.KelloggCompany.com.
SOURCE Kellogg Company
The Ultimate Macaroni and Cheese Casserole: A Delicious Twist on a Classic Comfort Dish
Indulge in the ultimate macaroni and cheese casserole recipe with healthy alternatives and a variety of cheese options
Macaroni and cheese casserole is a timeless favorite that brings us warmth and comfort. This article will guide you through creating the best macaroni and cheese casserole while offering alternative ideas, including healthy recipes and suggestions for the best cheese varieties to elevate your dish. Get ready to indulge in a cheesy, creamy, and unforgettable experience!
- 1 pound (450g) elbow macaroni
- 4 cups (960ml) whole milk
- 4 tablespoons (56g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (60g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (200g) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (100g) shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup (100g) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, for a spicy kick)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (100g) breadcrumbs (optional, for a crispy topping)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and lightly grease a 9×13-inch (23x33cm) baking dish.
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk continuously for about 2 minutes to make a roux.
- Gradually pour in the milk while whisking constantly to create a smooth sauce. Continue whisking until the sauce thickens, usually about 5-7 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the shredded cheddar, Gruyere, and Parmesan cheeses. Stir until the cheeses have melted and the sauce is smooth. Add the mustard powder, cayenne pepper (if desired), salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir until the pasta is evenly coated.
- Pour the macaroni and cheese mixture into the greased baking dish. If desired, sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over the top for a crispy topping.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden and the casserole is bubbly.
- Healthy Macaroni and Cheese Casserole:
- Replace regular elbow macaroni with whole wheat or gluten-free pasta.
- Use low-fat milk or unsweetened almond milk instead of whole milk.
- Opt for reduced-fat cheese varieties or experiment with a combination of part-skim mozzarella and sharp cheddar.
- Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese Casserole:
- Add sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions, or roasted garlic to the cheese sauce for extra depth of flavor.
- Incorporate cooked bacon, diced ham, or shredded rotisserie chicken for a protein-packed twist.
- Experiment with different cheese combinations, such as smoked Gouda, fontina, or blue cheese.
Choosing the Best Cheese:
- Sharp cheddar: Offers a rich and tangy flavor that pairs perfectly with macaroni.
- Gruyere: Adds a nutty and slightly sweet taste, creating a creamy and smooth texture.
- Parmesan: Provides a savory and salty note that enhances the overall depth of flavor.
With this recipe, you’ll be able to create a mouthwatering macaroni and cheese casserole that’s sure to please. Whether you’re looking for a healthy alternative or want to explore gourmet variations, the possibilities are endless. Don’t forget to experiment with different cheese combinations to find your personal favorite. Enjoy the cheesy goodness and savor every bite of this ultimate comfort dish!
Check out Homemade Mac and Cheese Casserole: https://www.spendwithpennies.com/creamy-macaroni-and-cheese-casserole/
Community9 months ago
Diana Gregory Talks to us about Diana Gregory’s Outreach Services
Senior Pickleball Report10 months ago
ACE PICKLEBALL CLUB TO DEBUT THEIR HIGHLY ANTICIPATED INDOOR PICKLEBALL FRANCHISES IN THE US, IN EARLY 2023
Entertainment11 months ago
The Absolute Most Comfortable Pickleball Shoe I’ve Ever Worn!
Blog10 months ago
Unique Experiences at the CitizenM
Automotive9 months ago
2023 Nissan Sentra pricing starts at $19,950
Senior Pickleball Report10 months ago
“THE PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARDS OF PICKLEBALL” – VOTING OPEN
influencers9 months ago
Keeping Pickleball WEIRD, INEXPENSIVE and FUN? These GUYS are!
Blog11 months ago
Assistory Showing Support on Senior Assist Day