(Family Features) Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion, saying “I love you” to a faraway relative or offering a kind gesture to a friend or neighbor, sending a gift is a thoughtful way to share your appreciation. A handwritten note goes a long way, and you can take that token of gratitude one step further by pairing it with an authentic fruit basket.
When it’s time to give a gift to a friend or loved one, consider sending fresh Florida Citrus boxes, which contain premium citrus hand-selected at the peak of ripeness. Available in a variety of sizes to fit your budget and filled with your choice of oranges, grapefruit, tangerines and unique jams, jellies and candies, the baskets arrive fresh at the door of your recipient.
With naturally sweet taste from the Sunshine State, the unique climate with subtropical temperatures, abundant sunshine, distinctive sandy soil and ample rainfall help grow juicy citrus. Plus, the delicious fruits are equally nutritious as they’re loaded with vitamin C and provide a combination of nutrients to support overall health to help adults and children alike meet intake recommendations for certain key nutrients.
On top of their taste as appetizing snacks, they’re perfect for cooking in recipes like Citrus Marinated Flatiron Steak Salad or Citrus Cherry Cobbler that take advantage of their natural sweetness and allow for mouthwatering meals, sides, desserts and more.
To choose a premium, hand-selected basket and send to your friends, neighbors, coworkers and loved ones, visit gifts.floridacitrus.org.
Citrus Marinated Flatiron Steak Salad
Citrus Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup Florida Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup Florida Tangerine Juice
- 2 teaspoons Florida Orange zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
Flatiron Steak Salad:
- 1 1/2 pounds flatiron steak
- 2 cups Citrus Balsamic Vinaigrette, divided
- 1/2 cup Florida Orange segments
- 1/2 cup Florida Grapefruit segments
- 2 quarts baby spinach
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup radish, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- To make citrus balsamic vinaigrette: Combine orange juice, tangerine juice, orange zest, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper, to taste. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking vigorously. Set dressing aside.
- To make flatiron steak salad: Place flatiron steak in container and add 1 cup citrus balsamic vinaigrette. Marinate in refrigerator at least 30 minutes, or up to 3 hours.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill steak to desired doneness. Remove from heat and rest 5 minutes before slicing thinly.
- In large mixing bowl, combine orange segments, grapefruit segments, baby spinach, red onion, cherry tomatoes, radish and cucumber. Add remaining citrus balsamic vinaigrette, as desired, and toss well to combine.
- To serve, divide salad and sliced steak among four plates and top with crumbled goat cheese.
Citrus Cherry Cobbler
- 4 cups cherries, pitted, juice reserved
- 1/2 cup Florida Orange Juice
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups Florida Orange segments, seeded
- 1/2 cup Florida Grapefruit segments, seeded
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- To make cobbler: In medium saucepan, combine cherries and reserved juice, orange juice, sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch. Bring to simmer, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute and remove from heat. Add butter and stir until melted. Cool and add orange segments and grapefruit segments. Pour filling into baking dish or pie pan.
- To make topping: Heat oven to 350 F.
- In food processor, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. Add butter and pulse until butter is cut into small, pea-sized pieces. Remove flour mixture from food processor and place in mixing bowl. Add egg and milk; stir until just combined. Drop topping mixture by tablespoon over filling until almost covered.
- Bake until topping is browned and filling is bubbling and hot. Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving.
Florida Department of Citrus
Sweet and Savory Ways to Shake Up Holiday Celebrations
(Family Features) ’Tis the season for sweet and savory favorites – from the mouthwatering desserts you crave each year to starters and snacks that hold over hungry guests. Elevate your holiday entertaining with the right combination of appetizers, main courses, sides, sweets and beyond that start with the same seasonal staple: pecans.
As a versatile nut that can be used throughout the holidays, pecans have you covered so you can cook and enjoy a myriad of dishes, add festive flair to decor, or provide a nutritious snack in the midst of season-long indulgences. This year, pick up an extra bag of pecans to create nutritious, delicious dishes to enjoy on-the-go or serve to guests.
To help celebrate the holiday season, the American Pecan Promotion Board introduced a digital Pe-Calendar to highlight the many ways pecans can be enjoyed in and beyond a traditional pie. From Dec. 7-18, the interactive calendar will unveil tasty recipes for pecan fans to enjoy, along with fun games that can enter you in to win exciting prizes each day. From delicious Baked Brie with Pecans and Cranberry Orange Chutney to nutritious Pecan Snack Mix with Cranberries and Chocolate, along with prizes, the calendar provides an ultimate way to shell-ebrate with the must-have holiday nut.
To sign up for daily email reminders to open a new door for chances to win nutty prizes, or to find additional holiday recipes, visit EatPecans.com.
Baked Brie with Pecans and Cranberry Orange Chutney
Recipe courtesy of the American Pecan Promotion Board
Cook time: 24 minutes
- 1 bag (12 ounces) fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, plus 1 teaspoon for garnish, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 orange, zest and juice only
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme, plus additional for garnish, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (optional)
- 1 round brie (13.4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup roasted pecan pieces
- toasted bread
- apple slices
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring cranberries (reserving some for garnish), 1/2 cup maple syrup and water to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until cranberries pop and mixture thickens, 8-10 minutes.
- Remove cranberry mixture from heat and stir in orange zest, orange juice, 1 teaspoon thyme, rosemary and bourbon, if desired.
- Place brie on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 5-7 minutes, or until inside of cheese softens while outside remains intact.
- Transfer brie to serving platter and top with chutney and toasted pecans. Drizzle remaining maple syrup over brie and garnish with remaining fresh thyme and reserved cranberries. Serve with crackers, toasted bread and apple slices.
Pecan Snack Mix with Cranberries and Chocolate
Recipe courtesy of Jess Larson and the American Pecan Promotion Board
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes, plus 10 minutes cooling time
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup rice squares cereal (wheat or cinnamon)
- 1/2 cup pretzels
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- In large, microwave-safe bowl, add pecans, rice squares cereal and pretzels. In small, microwave-safe bowl, add butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, salt and nutmeg. Microwave butter mixture 1-2 minutes until melted then pour over dry mix. Toss well to combine.
- Microwave snack mix in 45-second intervals, about 4-5 intervals total, until mix is fragrant, golden and toasty.
- Cool mix completely then stir in cranberries and dark chocolate chips.
The Ultimate Macaroni and Cheese Casserole: A Delicious Twist on a Classic Comfort Dish
Indulge in the ultimate macaroni and cheese casserole recipe with healthy alternatives and a variety of cheese options
Macaroni and cheese casserole is a timeless favorite that brings us warmth and comfort. This article will guide you through creating the best macaroni and cheese casserole while offering alternative ideas, including healthy recipes and suggestions for the best cheese varieties to elevate your dish. Get ready to indulge in a cheesy, creamy, and unforgettable experience!
- 1 pound (450g) elbow macaroni
- 4 cups (960ml) whole milk
- 4 tablespoons (56g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (60g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (200g) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (100g) shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup (100g) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, for a spicy kick)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (100g) breadcrumbs (optional, for a crispy topping)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and lightly grease a 9×13-inch (23x33cm) baking dish.
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk continuously for about 2 minutes to make a roux.
- Gradually pour in the milk while whisking constantly to create a smooth sauce. Continue whisking until the sauce thickens, usually about 5-7 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the shredded cheddar, Gruyere, and Parmesan cheeses. Stir until the cheeses have melted and the sauce is smooth. Add the mustard powder, cayenne pepper (if desired), salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir until the pasta is evenly coated.
- Pour the macaroni and cheese mixture into the greased baking dish. If desired, sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over the top for a crispy topping.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden and the casserole is bubbly.
- Healthy Macaroni and Cheese Casserole:
- Replace regular elbow macaroni with whole wheat or gluten-free pasta.
- Use low-fat milk or unsweetened almond milk instead of whole milk.
- Opt for reduced-fat cheese varieties or experiment with a combination of part-skim mozzarella and sharp cheddar.
- Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese Casserole:
- Add sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions, or roasted garlic to the cheese sauce for extra depth of flavor.
- Incorporate cooked bacon, diced ham, or shredded rotisserie chicken for a protein-packed twist.
- Experiment with different cheese combinations, such as smoked Gouda, fontina, or blue cheese.
Choosing the Best Cheese:
- Sharp cheddar: Offers a rich and tangy flavor that pairs perfectly with macaroni.
- Gruyere: Adds a nutty and slightly sweet taste, creating a creamy and smooth texture.
- Parmesan: Provides a savory and salty note that enhances the overall depth of flavor.
With this recipe, you’ll be able to create a mouthwatering macaroni and cheese casserole that’s sure to please. Whether you’re looking for a healthy alternative or want to explore gourmet variations, the possibilities are endless. Don’t forget to experiment with different cheese combinations to find your personal favorite. Enjoy the cheesy goodness and savor every bite of this ultimate comfort dish!
Check out Homemade Mac and Cheese Casserole: https://www.spendwithpennies.com/creamy-macaroni-and-cheese-casserole/
Crunchy Delights: Homemade Corn Tortilla Chips in the Air Fryer
Make crispy homemade tortilla chips in the air fryer—a quick and easy recipe for irresistible snacks!
If you’re a fan of crispy, flavorful snacks, then homemade corn tortilla chips made in the air fryer are a must-try! With just a handful of ingredients and a few simple steps, you can enjoy the irresistible taste of freshly made tortilla chips right in the comfort of your own kitchen. Let’s dive into this easy and delicious recipe!
- Corn tortillas (preferably 6-inch size)
- Olive oil or cooking spray
- Salt (to taste)
- Optional toppings: chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, or any of your favorite seasonings
- Preheat the Air Fryer:
Preheat your air fryer to 350°F (175°C). This will ensure your tortilla chips cook evenly and become beautifully crisp.
- Cut the Tortillas:
Stack the corn tortillas together and cut them into triangular or rectangular shapes, depending on your preference. You can cut multiple tortillas at once to save time.
- Prepare the Tortilla Chips:
Place the cut tortilla pieces in a mixing bowl. Drizzle them with olive oil or lightly coat them with cooking spray. Toss the tortillas gently to evenly distribute the oil. This step helps the chips turn golden and crispy.
- Season the Chips (Optional):
If you want to add some extra flavor, sprinkle your favorite seasonings like salt, chili powder, paprika, cumin, or garlic powder over the oiled tortilla chips. Toss them again to ensure even distribution.
- Air Fry the Tortilla Chips:
Arrange the seasoned tortilla chips in a single layer in the air fryer basket. If needed, you may need to cook them in batches to avoid overcrowding. Air fry for about 6-8 minutes, or until the chips become golden brown and crispy. Remember to flip or shake the basket halfway through cooking for even browning.
- Cool and Serve:
Once the chips are cooked to perfection, transfer them to a cooling rack or paper towel-lined plate to cool down and remove excess oil. As they cool, they will become even crunchier. Serve the freshly made tortilla chips with your favorite dips, salsa, guacamole, or enjoy them on their own!
- Experiment with different seasonings to create a variety of flavors.
- Keep an eye on the chips while cooking, as cooking times may vary depending on the air fryer model and tortilla thickness.
- Store any leftover tortilla chips in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Making homemade corn tortilla chips in the air fryer is a fantastic way to enjoy a healthier version of this classic snack. With their irresistible crunch and customizable seasonings, these chips are perfect for parties, movie nights, or anytime you’re craving a satisfying treat. So grab your air fryer and indulge in the delectable goodness of these homemade tortilla chips that are sure to impress your taste buds!
Take a look at these recipe suggestions. https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_homemade_tortilla_chips/
Community9 months ago
Diana Gregory Talks to us about Diana Gregory’s Outreach Services
Senior Pickleball Report10 months ago
ACE PICKLEBALL CLUB TO DEBUT THEIR HIGHLY ANTICIPATED INDOOR PICKLEBALL FRANCHISES IN THE US, IN EARLY 2023
Entertainment12 months ago
The Absolute Most Comfortable Pickleball Shoe I’ve Ever Worn!
Blog10 months ago
Unique Experiences at the CitizenM
Automotive9 months ago
2023 Nissan Sentra pricing starts at $19,950
Senior Pickleball Report10 months ago
“THE PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARDS OF PICKLEBALL” – VOTING OPEN
influencers10 months ago
Keeping Pickleball WEIRD, INEXPENSIVE and FUN? These GUYS are!
Blog11 months ago
Assistory Showing Support on Senior Assist Day